For the Jazz Tune All the Things You Are by Jerome Kern
For this challenge, I tried arranging from a lead sheet in two different ways:
1) In the Quick Improvisation . . .
Initially and almost immediately, I developed a hook in the left hand and repeated the arpeggiated hook throughout the piece in the chords found on the lead sheet. This was a rough improvisation, but it provided structure for the arrangement.
2) The Steps Used in Working Out the Arrangement from the Lessons in Harmony . . .
I wanted to see what would happen if I arranged the piece using what I have learned from the lessons in harmony. So I played as simply and accurately as I could.
Finally I compared the improvisation with the basic extended chords accompaniment. I was surprised to find that I had instinctively added not only 7ths, but 9ths, 11ths and 13ths to my improvisation. I'm not sure I could have created this improvisation without some understanding of harmony.
Fueled with this information I spent some time perfecting, among other things, the voicing and voice leading of my improvised accompaniment.
Anyway, I provide the lead sheet; both the basic left hand accompaniment and the basic extended chords accompaniment; and finally the improvisation, which was actually my first effort cleaned up.
THE LEAD SHEET
BASIC LEFT HAND ACCOMPANIMENT
I played a very basic left hand accompaniment using the chords given on the lead sheet-probably something anyone could do. Here it is.
BASIC EXTENDED CHORDS ACCOMPANIMENT
Next, I added 7ths and a few extended chords anywhere I could. If it sounded good I added it. Here it is.
NOW, BACK TO MY ORIGINAL IMPROVISATION AFTER CLEANING IT UP A BIT
Initially I felt the wistful mood of the piece and heard a simple phrase in my head then played it. I added this phrase as a hook in the form of an arpeggio in the introduction and brought that theme back throughout the piece. I got the idea down fairly quickly and recorded it on Logic, then printed it. Logic does a poor job of notating, but I took that copy from Logic and with a pencil at the piano corrected and rewrote the score in readable notation. From the corrected hard copy I entered the notes in Musescore and began the editing process- that is fixing all the little things that made it awkward to play. Where I hadn't already, I spread out the notes and got rid of doubled up notes with a few exceptions like melody notes, and the parallel octaves in measure 18.
Shown below is the final product.